You could probably get away with calling this Chicken and Dumplings. You could even mayyyybe get away with calling it a Cheater’s Chicken Pot Pie. But no matter what you call it, all you really need to know is that it’s positively delicious, stick to your ribs comfort food. Our Creamy Country Chicken and Biscuits is an easy dinner to prepare, but it’s equally easy to love.
The base of this dish is pretty similar to what you might create for a chicken pot pie. There’s chicken, peas, carrots, and onions that are cooked into a creamy chicken broth mixture that’s thickened with a touch of flour until it’s so savory and yummy and comforting. But rather than top it with a pie crust, it’s finished off with some simple cheddar and chive studded biscuits. You could say it’s somewhat of a pot pie and dumplings mash-up.
This isn’t a situation where you have to knead and roll out biscuit dough. No, this is just a quick Bisquick type mixture that’s bumped up with a bit of cheese and chives and spooned right into the baking dish. The biscuits are just as yummy as the filling, but when they meet – well, it’s a combination not to be missed!
Country Chicken and Biscuits
15m prep time
15m cook time
For the chicken filling:
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the biscuits:
- 2 cups biscuit mix (such as bisquick)
- 2/3-3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chives
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth and half-and-half. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrot, and celery, and sauté 10 minutes.
- Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and gradually stir in chicken broth mixture.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in chicken and peas and transfer to prepared baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the biscuit dough:
- In a large bowl, use a fork to stir together the biscuit mix, buttermilk, cheese, and chives until a soft dough forms.
- Remove baking dish from oven, uncover, and stir filling.
- Scoop 8 portions of biscuit dough onto chicken filling. (About 1/4 cup each.)
- Return dish to oven and continue baking, uncovered, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a biscuit comes out clean, about 12 minutes.
- Stir together melted butter and garlic powder, brush over biscuits, and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Seasoned Mom.