We’ve been singing the praises of our trusty slow cooker for years and we’ll continue singing said praises for years to come. Today, we’ve got a creamy soup that we’ve recently become obsessed with, and that’s perfect if you want creaminess without all the accompanying calories. Chowder-esque soups tend to be roux-based, meaning they’re thickened with a butter, flour and cream mixture, but we skipped the butter and flour here and just used 2/3 a cup of heavy cream. Divided up into 8 servings, that’s super reasonable! So, to recap, rich, creamy flavor, packed with veggies and protein – a dinner you can definitely go back for seconds of.
The flavor here is the star of the show. Anytime someone says the words “garlic” or “parmesan” we’re already fully on board. You know those people who worry about having garlic breath? That’s not us. Give us all the garlic. All that to say this soup is seriously yummy – that flavor packs a punch! Plus, the fact that it’s chock-full of chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion is so nice, since it turns this dish into a meal that will actually keep you feeling full – no hunger cravings hitting an hour after you leave the table.
This is such a nice dish to bring your family together at the table. Grab a crusty loaf of bread to dip in it, if you so choose, and then you can kick back and enjoy it with loved ones. Afterwards, you can let (read: force) someone else to tackle the minimal clean up; you’ve done your part by making this tasty soup!
Garlic Parmesan Chicken Soup
10 minutes active; 3 hours inactive
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 pound small potatoes (red or gold or both), halved or quartered
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3-1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Place cubed chicken in the bottom of slow cooker and top with potatoes, onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, then add Italian seasoning.
- Pour chicken broth over your chicken and veggies, then stir together. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours, until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are fork tender.
- Create a slurry by whisking cornstarch into heavy cream, then stir into slow cooker stew. Also stir in parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes, or until stew is thickened.
- Transfer to serving bowls and serve hot, garnished with crusty bread, if desired.
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Rebel