Okay, we’ve got a bit of a throwback recipe for you today, a retro dish that was a total staple back in the ‘50s and ‘60s…and for good reason! While it might look surprising and unlike other dessert, we mean it when we say this stuff tastes really good. Seriously! These lemon lime jello bars have the perfect touch of sweetness, thanks to bites of pineapple and balanced out by just the right amount of tang. Are you wondering what’s in these bars?
Obviously we’ve got lemon jello and lime jello, these are lemon lime bars afterall, plus regular gelatin to make sure these set up nicely – that’s not the interesting part though. Along with the gelatins, these bars have sweetened condensed milk and crushed pineapple in there, as well as cottage cheese and…mayonnaise. Before you say no to these bars forever, let us explain: you don’t taste the mayo at all, it just helps make these bars creamy and delicious.
If pineapple and cottage cheese is a combo you love, then these bars, with the addition of lemon lime jello, are true perfection. Sweet and tangy, we were more than happy to dust this recipe off and bring it back. Our family was a little hesitant to try them, but these won out in the end – everyone loved them!
Lime Jello Bars
Serves 8-12; 15 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive
- 1 (3 oz.) package lemon jello
- 1 (3 oz.) package lime jello
- 1 (.25 oz.) packet unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16 oz.) container cottage cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, partially drained
- 2 limes, zested, garnish, optional
- 2 lemons, zested, garnish, optional
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Pour hot water into greased baking dish, then sprinkle lemon and lime jello and unflavored gelatin into water. Whisk until all gelatin is fully dissolved.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk, cottage cheese and mayonnaise until fully combined, then fold in pineapple.
- Place in refrigerator and chill for 2-3 hours, or until set.
- Sprinkle lemon and lime zest over before serving, then slice into squares and enjoy!