There are some meals that are just classics, like mac and cheese or burger night. Meatloaf falls squarely into that category, as it’s been popular since the 1930s when penny pinching was crucial. This recipe for garlic herb butter meatloaf is a new take on this iconic American dinner, with tons of flavor from the garlic herb sauce you pour on top of each slice.
Like most meatloaf recipes this one calls for ground beef, eggs, and stale slices of bread. But, to give more oomph to the meat there are a lot of fresh herbs mixed in at this stage. Instead of tomato and paprika being used, the flavors or parsley, chives, thyme, and celery give this meatloaf a brighter flavor.
While the meatloaf is baking you can work on the garlic herb butter sauce. This add-on doesn’t have that many ingredients, but it gives so much buttery, garlicky flavor to the meal. Just before serving this sauce add some freshly chopped parsley and some fresh garlic to really amp up the flavor.
I love that this recipe builds on a meal that so many of us grew up with, but adds new elements to the dish. This is one meatloaf recipe that couldn’t possibly pass for ho-hum. It’s a testament to just how many ways you can make meatloaf!
Garlic Herb Butter Meatloaf
Makes 10 slices
25m prep time
47m cook time
For the meatloaf:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 slices stale bread
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
For the butter sauce:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 9 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
For the meatloaf:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a large skillet heat oil over medium. Add celery, garlic, and onion to pan and sauté for 8 minutes. Combine with beef in a large bowl along with crumbled bread pieces, herbs, eggs, salt, and pepper. Blend using hands until uniform in color. Allow to rest in bowl for 10 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mold beef mixture onto pan in a loaf shape about 4” to 5” tall. Or press into a 1.5 quart loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 160˚F.
For the sauce:
- Combine olive oil and 8 cloves garlic in a small saucepan and heat over medium. Cook for 5-10 minutes, but do not allow garlic to burn.
- Add chicken stock and cornstarch to a glass jar. Seal with lid and shake vigorously until no lumps remain. Add broth, water, and butter to garlic. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and add parsley and remaining garlic just before serving.
- When meatloaf is ready slice it into 10 pieces and then drizzle some garlic butter sauce over each piece.
Recipe adapted from Let’s Dish.