Does anyone else crave the classic Thanksgiving combination of turkey, cranberry, and stuffing all year round? I figure it can’t just be me. Well, good news. These Turkey Cranberry Sausage Rolls bring it to you any time you want it and they do it by creating a mashup with the classic British take-away standby – the Sausage Roll! They’re both savory and sweet and have the irresistible flaky bite of puff pastry going on. Whether you make it a full meal or a quick munchie, these are seriously good eats.
You’re going to use ground turkey here and it cooks along with the pastry in the oven so there’s not any prep to do aside from seasoning it with some thyme, sage, and such. After rolling out your puff pastry, you’ll spread the center with cranberry sauce and top it with the seasoned turkey before topping it all off with some prepared stuffing.
But really? If you don’t happen to have stuffing leftovers in your fridge or you don’t feel like going to the extra (small bit of) trouble to prepare it, you can leave it out. It definitely adds to the fun here but you won’t miss it too terribly if you don’t have it on hand.
But I digress. Roll those babies up, slice them into sections, and brush them with egg wash. A few little slits in each roll helps create a vent for some of the liquid and steam and in just under a half an hour, they’re ready to pull out of the oven.
These Sausage Rolls taste like America and England brought their best to the snack world and rolled them up together. It’s a tasty combination!
Turkey Cranberry Sausage Rolls
10m prep time
25m cook time
- 3/4 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup prepared stuffing
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a medium bowl, add the turkey, thyme, sage, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix to combine.
- Unfold thawed pastry on a floured surface and cut in half lengthwise.
- Spread cranberry sauce down the middle of each sheet of pastry.
- Form the turkey into two long sausage shapes and place on top of cranberry sauce. Top with prepared stuffing.
- Brush beaten egg on one long edge of pastry. Roll pastry over filling to meet the egg washed edge. Cut each roll into fourths, so you have eight total rolls.
- Place on baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with egg wash and using a sharp knife, cut 3 slices on the top of each roll to vent steam.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Culinary Ginger.