It’s never been easier to get your kids to eat their vegetables…
While some people don’t take an immediate liking to it (or to greens in general), we’ve always had a fierce affinity for spinach. Whether it’s in a fresh salad, sautéed with garlic and lemon, or cooked into a creamy side dish, we’ll take those baby greens any way we can get them, and this dish is our current new favorite in our dinner rotation.
You’ve probably heard of or tried potato gratin, but have you ever had spinach gratin? Essentially creamed spinach that we top with a healthy sprinkling of cheese, this dish will have you hooked after one bite. The cheese melts perfectly on top of the already creamy spinach and the result is a veggie dish that will steal the show every time. Even if you don’t like spinach usually, you should check this out…we promise you’ll love it!
Serves 4; 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup gruyere or swiss cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup crispy bacon, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Melt butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onions until softened and translucent. 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1 minute, or until fragrant, then whisk in flour.
- Stirring frequently, cook for 2-3 minutes, or until mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Pour in heavy cream and milk and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until thick. Add nutmeg.
- Take drained spinach and add it to cream sauce, along with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour creamy spinach mixture into greased baking dish and top with remaining parmesan and gruyere (or swiss). If using, add bacon crumbles on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe