And we definitely didn’t skimp with the first ingredient…
We love making stews and soups once temperatures start to drop in the fall – or even the occasional summer soup when we really get a craving for fresh summer veggie dishes – and we frequently turn to our slow cooker to make things super simple. Plus, the fact that it frees up a burner on the stove is a win as well…no one wants to have to scramble at the last minute for stove space….
When the craving for soup hit us the other day, we at first considered some our go-tos (zuppa toscana, anyone?), but ultimately decided we wanted to go in a more creamy, seasonal direction. Instead of whipping up a stew-soup hybrid that’s packed to the gills with chunky ingredients, we made a smooth, flavorful dish that will have you ladling seconds into your bowl before you can say, “Dig in!” This is our creamy slow cooker pumpkin soup and let us tell you, it really is all it’s cracked up to be. Using a serious amount of pumpkin in this – 58 ounces; we’re really not messing around here – makes for a very thick soup that tastes velvety and delicious. Along with the pumpkin, we threw in some onion and tons of fall-centric spices to pump things up.
Apple cider vinegar adds a touch of sweetness, garlic powder, ground ginger and cinnamon add warmth, then a bit chili powder adds just the right amount of kick. Finish everything off with some heavy cream or half-and-half and you’ve got a creamy dinner that will become a staple in your household. May we recommend a hearty loaf of bread to dip into your soup and sop up all the leftovers?? Regardless of what you serve it with, this soup does not disappoint!
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
15 minutes active; 3+ hours inactive
- 2 (29 oz.) cans pumpkin purée
- 1 (32 oz.) carton low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2-3/4 cup apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- bacon bits, garnish
- sour cream or plain yogurt, garnish
- Melt butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion for 6-8 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat.
- Place onion in slow cooker and add in pumpkin purée, garlic powder, ginger, cinnamon and chili powder. Season generously with salt and pepper, and add bay leaf.
- Stir in chicken stock and apple cider vinegar, then cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove cover and stir in heavy cream, taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Remove bay leaf and ladle into serving bowls, then top with sour cream or plain yogurt and bacon bits. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Hamilton Beach