We can’t decide which one of these delicious soups to make tonight!
Soup season and slow cooker season go hand-in-hand. There’s really nothing like a homemade soup on a cold fall or winter day to make everyone feel cozy and warm. We got to thinking about some of our favorite foods-turned-soup and naturally, we thought of a loaded baked potato. If you’ve never tried the soup version, you’re in for something really special. It’s all done in the slow cooker, too, so prep and clean up is pretty simple.
A creamy potato soup is rich and hearty, filled with all kinds of amazing ingredients that are sure to please any potato soup lover. Loaded baked potato soup is comfort food classic. Let’s take a closer look at the loaded baked potato soup. It’s got all of our favorite baked potato ingredients but in soup form, and it sure is delicious! We dice up Russet potatoes with onions, chicken broth, and some evaporated milk for extra creaminess. This ends up making a beautiful broth that we use just before serving to create a roux to help thicken the soup.
When this is ready, you’ll want to have your usual baked potato bar ingredients ready, like sour cream, bacon bits, shredded cheddar cheese, and some green onions for a nice oniony bite and pop of bright fresh color too. This soup is a rich and hearty meal, it can stand up on its own and fill up a hungry crowd. A loaded baked potato soup is yet another wonder from our slow cooker that we get to enjoy!
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Serves 6-8; 4 hours 15 minutes
- 3-3 ½ pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place diced potatoes into slow cooker. Add onion, chicken broth, and evaporated milk, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Ladle 2 cups of broth out of slow cooker and set aside.
- Ladle soup into an oven-safe bowl. Top with a slice of baguette and a slice of cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. Melt ⅓ cup butter in a pan on medium to medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and stir until combined. Whisk in reserved broth and stir until thickened.
- Pour sauce into slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Optional toppings: cheddar cheese, green onions, bacon pieces, sour cream.