A great use of leftovers but you’ll want to make them just because.
These Sausage Stuffing Balls are an excellent use for holiday leftovers, but they’re a delicious enough side that they’re worth making just because. They make for a hearty appetizer or side with tons of meaty, savory flavor even though they’re very easy to make. Not quite a meatball, not quite your traditional stuffing experience, they’re chewy, bready, cheesy fare and I’ve yet to encounter someone who isn’t happy to feast on them.
These look like they have a lot going on, but really all you need is a handful of ingredients. You can start with a box of stuffing mix or use stuffing that you happen to have on hand, but if you’re going with the former you’ll need to prepare it first. You then mix the prepared stuffing with some pork sausage, shredded cheddar cheese, poultry seasoning, parsley, and an egg to hold everything together.
Shape it into balls about the size of a golf ball and let it bake until the sausage is browned, the cheese has melted, and everything has melded together into one cohesive ball of deliciousness.
They’re small enough to eat in a bite or two, so they make for great finger food, but they totally work as a side eaten with a fork as well. Serve ’em as a Thanksgiving side, an appetizer for any gathering, or as an opportunity to get the extra stuffing out of your fridge… no matter how you serve them, they’re delicious.
Sausage Stuffing Balls
Serves 6 Prep 10m Cook 25m
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 6 oz dry stuffing mix, prepared according to package directions
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, prepared stuffing, poultry seasoning, parsley, cheese, and egg. Season with salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
- Roll into golf ball sized balls and pack them tightly.
- Place on baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 25 minutes. Enjoy!