Classic rocky road combination in an easy to make no-bake bar.
I have always loved rocky road ice cream because it’s one of those situations where the sum of the ingredients is greater than its parts. While marshmallows and walnuts and chocolate don’t do much for me on their own (okay, maybe the chocolate does), when they’re combined I can’t seem to get enough. Creamy chocolate, pillowy marshmallows, and a little bit of nutty crunch? Yes, please. These Rocky Road Bars bring you alllll of that but they do it without the chill of ice cream. They’re a sliceable, oh-so-shareable no-bake dessert that everyone loves!
Since Rocky Road Fudge is pretty common, these might look familiar to you, but this bar version is a bit sturdier and has a higher filling-to-chocolate ratio than its cousin. The base is made up of chocolate chips and peanut butter, though the latter just helps hold things together and doesn’t influence the flavor too much.
You melt those two together and then simply stir in the nuts, followed by the marshmallows once the mixture has cooled down a bit. (You don’t want to melt the marshmallows, after all.)
You spread the mixture into a baking pan and chill it long enough to firm it up, and then slice it into bars.
There’s the glory of melt-in-your-mouth chocolate, but there’s also the soft chew of marshmallows and crunch of walnuts. For something that takes mere minutes to make, it’s sure a satisfying treat!
No-Bake Rocky Road Bars
5m prep time
10m cook time
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with foil.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts. Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes, then stir in marshmallows.
- Spread mixture in prepared pan and chill until firm. Slice and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies.