We just love a good cookie, it doesn’t matter what kind – chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, sugar – when those medallions of sweetness cross our paths, we can never say “no”. Oatmeal cookies are one of our favorites; they’re chewy and hearty, and can be accompanied by any of a number of add-ins, like chocolate chips or raisins. For something a little more fresh and spring-like, we decided to give chopped fresh peaches a try, and we’re here to tell you – this was probably one of our best ideas yet. Each layer of flavor compliments the next, resulting in a cookie that’s sweet but not too sweet, hearty but not too dense, and just too darn easy to eat.
We know it’s hard to resist a cookie, but it’s equally hard to resist biting into a sweet peach, so it seems only natural to combine the two. The result is an irresistibly chewy and sweet cookie. Our recipe is similar to creating a peach pie filling: sugar, flour, and peaches are the fundamentals of making a good scratch filling. We’ve got the same here, except we add even more depth of flavor by using brown sugar instead of granulated. The “filling” is held together by a “crust” of sorts; the oatmeal binds everything together while adding a hearty chewiness. It really is like a peach pie has become a cookie!
When we think of spring baking, using fresh fruit always comes to mind. That’s what makes this cookie so good! Sure, we could use canned or packaged peach product, but those often have added sugar, and we prefer the natural sweetness that comes with using a fresh peach instead. Two of our favorite desserts come together into one perfect little cookie, and just like we would with a slice of peach pie, imagine how good this cookie would be with a scoop or two of cool vanilla ice cream. We hope you enjoy a peach pie oatmeal cookie as much as we do!
Peach Pie Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peaches, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325º F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg and salt until combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar together for 2 minutes, or until creamy, then mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Gradually stir in dry ingredients until just incorporated, then fold in diced peaches.
- Using a tablespoon or a small ice cream scoop, drop mounds of cookie dough (as tall as they are wide) onto lined baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until just set.
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before transferring to wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Amy's Healthy Baking