Some people swear they don’t like brussels sprouts. But I promise you you could serve these brussels sprouts to just about anyone and get rave reviews. See, these aren’t the steamed stinky-gym-sock-scented-sprouts of your youth… Nope. These are blanketed in breadcrumbs and Parmesan and baked until they’re irresistibly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. They’re more reminiscent of a bar snack than a dinner side, but I don’t think anyone will be complaining when you set these out for a family meal.
You start by trimming some sprouts and slicing them in half. Easy enough.
And then you dredge them in flour, just to make sure the rest of the goodies stick to them. Also easy enough. (In fact, the whole process is easy enough.)
A quick dip in some egg…
… and then in a combination of breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper ensures they’re fully coated in goodness.
They head into the oven for just 25 minutes.
And they emerge golden brown and crunchy, but soft on the inside. The parm echoes the nuttiness in the brussels sprouts, while the breadcrumbs contrast the tender bite of the interior. It’s edible synergy.
For something as crunchy and poppable and irresistible as these, it’s surprising how easy they are to make. They’re done in well under an hour and you only need your oven, yet they’re just as crisp and satisfying as something that came out of a deep fryer. We all know that eating your veggies is important. But if we could all eat them like this all the time, it would never feel like a chore!
Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts
Serves 4 40 minutes
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, halved and trimmed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Add flour to a shallow bowl and eggs to a separate shallow bowl. In a third shallow bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge Brussels sprouts first in flour, then in egg mixture, then in breadcrumb mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat until all sprouts are coated.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Endless Meal.