In casseroles or just side-by-side, chicken and rice has long been a combination that belongs together. In this chicken and rice dish, they don’t just go together, they’re cooked in the same pan together as well. One pan, under thirty minutes, and you’ve got a seriously delicious dinner. It’s a quick and easy dinner solution, but thanks to plenty of garlic, herbs, and parmesan, it also happens to be a satisfyingly creamy and flavorful one too.
This is truly one-pot (or pan). You don’t need to sear the chicken and remove it and add it back in as you often need to do with protein in other one-pan meals. You just start by softening some onions in butter and then browning the chicken and leaving it right in the pan before adding in the rice and other accouterments.
The rice and chicken simmer in a mixture of chicken broth, garlic, thyme, and rosemary, so they absorb a lot of savory garlic-herb flavor. You don’t need to stir or stand over the stove. This is a situation where you cover the pan and walk away for fifteen minutes or so, and when you return both the chicken and rice should be beautifully tender.
Once it’s cooked, you stir in a bit of cream and parmesan cheese, and they both melt into a luscious sauce that ties everything together. The end result is a creamy, cheese-kissed one-dish dinner that’s as comforting as it is tasty. And it just so happens to be super easy too!
Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Rice
25 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice (not quick cooking)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until beginning to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pan and season with salt and pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Cook until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add chicken broth and rice and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until rice is tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream and parmesan. Serve with additional parmesan and chopped parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Salty Marshmallow.