Rich chocolate, decadent filling, and a cookie crust! What’s not to love?
Oh boy, have a got a treat for you today. If you’ve been around 12 Tomatoes for any amount of time, then you’ll know that we take our desserts very seriously. Whether it’s pie, cake, cookies, or anything in between, we’re big fans of anything sugary and delicious. And if it’s easy to make? All the better!
These No-Bake Millionaire’s Shortbread Bars are certainly easy to make, and they have three of my favorite deserts rolled into one: homemade caramel, shortbread cookies, and chocolate!
Why are these shortbread bars worthy of their “Millionaire” title? Because of how rich they are, of course! The first layer of this dessert consists of crushed up shortbread cookies, ground cinnamon, and plenty of butter. You’ll combine those ingredients and press the mixture into the bottom of a pan, then refrigerate for an hour or so.
Next up, that sweet, sweet caramel! This recipe for caramel only has three ingredients, and that’s just the way I like it. Caramel is already perfect, why add anything else? Simply heat up brown sugar, butter, and sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan until it boils. Then, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened. Pour the caramel layer on top of the chilled cookie crust, then pop back into the fridge while you work on the next layer.
This last layer is nothing fancy, just chocolate chips, more butter, and some sea salt. Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every thirty seconds or so. Once the caramel layer is cooled, pour the chocolate on top and sprinkle with sea salt.
Let the bars cool in the fridge for another thirty minutes or so before serving. This decadent little treat is perfect for a little weekend or mid-week indulgence!
No-Bake Millionaire’s Shortbread Bars
Makes 12 bars
15m prep time
- 1 1/3 cup (10.5 ounces) shortbread cookies, crumbled in a food processor
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (12 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Optional: Coarse ground sea salt for topping
- Grease an 8×8 square baking pan well; set aside. Add the cookie crumbs, cinnamon, and melted butter to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Press the shortbread mixture into the pan in an even layer. Refrigerate until firm.
- Add brown sugar, butter, and sweetened condensed milk to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened while stirring often.
- Pour over the hardened shortbread base and refrigerate again until cold.
- Melt the chocolate together with 1 tablespoon butter. Pour over the caramel layer. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over top and refrigerate until hardened. Cut into bars.
Recipe adapted from Savory Nothings.