A big, hearty breakfast is easy with this shortcut recipe.
While I love my pancakes and muffins, there’s something about a nice savory breakfast that hits the spot like nothing else. But, if you’re cooking for a crowd then it can take quite a while to fry up all the eggs, sausage, and then still make some potatoes on the side. That’s why this make ahead sausage breakfast bake is perfect for when you’ve got a lot of mouths to feed, but maybe not so much in the time department.
This recipe is pretty simple and you can customize it to your liking very easily. To start with you’ll need 2 pounds of crumbled breakfast sausage. My personal favorite is the sage variety, but the hot style or the smokehouse sausages would work great for this casserole.
First fry up a small onion until it’s almost cooked all the way through then set aside. Then fry your sausage until browned. Remove the meat and then add the real time saving ingredient to the pan: frozen, shredded hash browns. You only need to cook them a few minutes on each side before removing from the heat.
Next combine 8 eggs with milk and whisk together in a large bowl. Then add in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to the eggs and whisk again. For a Tex-Mex spin you could add chipotle chili powder. Or change up the spices to suit your tastes.
Then add the potatoes to a greased 9″x13″ baking dish. Add the onions on top of the potatoes and then pour the egg mixture over the top. Add the sausage and then top with cheese. The easiest to use is cheddar since it goes with everything, but Monterey Jack would be nice, too.
At this point you can pop the pan in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. You could make this the night before and then bake it in the morning while you’re getting ready.
When you’re ready bake the casserole for 30-35 minutes until the cheese is all melted and gooey. This make ahead sausage breakfast bake is a simple, but effective, strategy for making sure a tasty breakfast doesn’t take all morning to make.
Make Ahead Sausage Breakfast Bake
15m prep time
35m cook time
- 1 small white or yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 lb crumbled breakfast sausage of your choice
- 1 30-oz bag frozen shredded hash browns
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Add butter to large skillet and cook onions over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Remove from pan and wipe it clean.
- Add sausage to skillet and cook on medium high until brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from pan and add in potatoes. Reduce heat back to medium and cook for 5 minutes or so, flipping halfway. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Add in more salt and pepper, as well as garlic powder and onion powder and whisk again to combine.
- Grease a 9”x13” pan. Place hash browns on the bottom, followed by the onions, eggs, and sausage. Top with cheese and place in fridge for up to overnight if making ahead. If not bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes at 350˚F until cheese is melted.
Recipe adapted from Plain Chicken.