I love enchiladas so much that it feels like an absolute travesty that I had never considered them a breakfast food until now. All those years I could’ve been eating enchiladas morning, noon, and night… What was I thinking? Why wouldn’t they be a breakfast food? You can fill them with whatever you want, and here we fill them with eggs scrambled with green chiles, crispy bacon, crumbled breakfast sausage, and some cheddar cheese for one seriously excellent breakfast bake. (And guess what? You can make these a day ahead and bake them morning of! And they freeze great too.)
You start by cooking the bacon and then the sausage. You can use the same skillet – there’s no need to dirty an extra pan.
In fact, you can go ahead and scramble the eggs in the same skillet too. They’re cooked with some diced green chiles, which add some delicious mild heat and flavor.
Then you start to pile that breakfast trio into your tortillas along with some shredded cheddar.
You roll them up and lay them in a baking dish before you top them with enchilada sauce. If you want to eat now, you can go ahead and bake them, but if you’re working ahead, here is where you stop. Cover the dish with foil and chill it overnight and in the morning, pop it in the oven.
After a bit of baking time, you uncover it and top it with cheese and let it hang out in the oven until it’s bubbly and melty and all things good.
While this combo is delicious, it’s a versatile breakfast bake, and you can switch up the filling ingredients however you see fit. I love a make-ahead breakfast option particularly when I’ve got a crowd to feed and this one gives you something to serve that’s a little unexpected but always well-received.
Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas
1 hour 15 minutes
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- Green onion, sliced, for serving
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add sausage to skillet and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, green chiles, salt, and pepper. Add to skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the enchiladas by filling each tortilla evenly with sausage, scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese.
- Roll tightly and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Pour enchilada sauce over enchiladas and cover dish with foil. If making ahead, refrigerate as long as overnight.
- Bake 35 minutes, remove foil and top with remaining cheese, and bake uncovered until cheese is melted and enchiladas are bubbly, about 20 minutes more. Top with remaining bacon and green onions and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Julie's Eats and Treats.