Chocolate cake is one of the most classic desserts you can make. It’s the stuff of dreams, the source of cravings, and the perfect finish to a special family meal. Some people prefer plain chocolate cake, but it’s nice to have some options when it comes to picking a recipe. This Louisiana swamp cake recipe contains pecans, coconut, and a secret ingredient that makes this cake extra tasty: marshmallow creme.
Then the ooey gooey icing on this cake, dripping with chocolate flavor, is the final touch that makes this dessert a “swamp” cake. You won’t be able to do elaborate decorations on this type of frosting, but that’s no flaw. Sometimes messy, homemade, fun desserts are a lot more enjoyable to eat than fancy desserts that look perfect.
To make this recipe start by mixing together sugar, cocoa, and flour. In a different bowl mix together the butter and eggs. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and then fold in the pecans and coconut. After baking and while the cake is still hot spread the marshmallow creme over the top so that it melts into the cake a bit.
Once that’s cooled off is when you add the homemade frosting on top. This is a bit thinner than a buttercream, but has a lot of flavor from the combination of vanilla, cocoa, butter, evaporated milk, and powdered sugar. Pour this frosting over the top and then get ready for a cake experience unlike any other.
When you cut into this cake, be prepared for the frosting to run over the edges. It’s such a great Southern way to get your chocolate fix.
Louisiana Swamp Cake
serves 12 Prep 25m Cook 25m
For the cake:
- 2 sticks butter or margarine, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa, unsweetened
- 2 3/4 cups shredded coconut
- 1 7-ounce jar marshmallow cream
For the icing:
- 1 stick butter or margarine, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350˚. In a medium bowl combine sugar, cocoa, and flour for cake. In a separate large bowl combine margarine and eggs.
- Add dry ingredients to wet a little at a time. Once mixed fold in pecans and shredded coconut.
- Pour batter into a 9x13 baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. While cake is still hot spread marshmallow creme over the top.
- In a large bowl combine butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, cocoa, and evaporated milk. Allow cake to cool completely before adding icing on top using an icing knife, offset spatula, or even the back of a spoon.
Recipe adapted from Just a Pinch.