For light meals sometimes a salad is just perfect. But, if you find yourself making the same old same old salad week after week then it might be time to change up your salad game. Instead of the usual iceberg or butter lettuce, this kale salad adds a darker color of green to the “rainbow” of a healthy diet.
Because kale is a denser leafy green than many lettuces, a bit of a sauté before building the salad gives the leaves a wonderful flavor, with perfectly seared edges. If you’ve never tried a salad with both cooked and raw vegetables now is the time to savor this tasty combination.
To begin making this recipe you’ll need to chop 1 bunch of kale or buy a bag of the pre-cut kale if your grocery carries it. I often leave the ribs in, but they are quite crunchy so you can cut or tear them off if you don’t prefer the texture.
Kale is a great veggie to incorporate into your diet since only 1 cup contains loads of vitamin C, as well as providing calcium, vitamin B6, and iron.
Sauté the kale in olive oil for about 4-5 minutes. You don’t want the leaves to completely wilt, but to just get browned on the edges.
Then assemble the salad and pour on the zesty homemade lemon and parmesan dressing. The pairing of lemon and kale is ideal as the two flavors go really well together.
The last steps are to add a few croutons and a little cheddar cheese on top. What you’re left with is a hearty salad with both cooked and raw elements for a fresh take on the standard garden fare.
Lemon and Kale Sauté Salad
20m prep time
8m cook time
For the salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 large bunch fresh kale, chopped, or 1 (10 oz) bag pre-chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
For the lemon dressing and topping:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup caesar croutons
- In a large skillet heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add in half the kale and sauté for about 4-5 minutes or until kale is just crisped around the edges and slightly wilted. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat for remaining kale. Divide kale among 4 plates and dot with tomatoes.
- In a medium bowl combine lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil to emulsify. Then stir in parmesan cheese and lemon zest. Pour dressing over kale and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Lastly add croutons on top and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Ahead of Thyme.