A trifle dish isn’t just for sweet desserts, you know. They’re also excellent for colorful layered salads just like this one, which is full of crunch and an Asian-inspired sweet and salty peanut-sesame dressing. While this is perfect for potlucks since you can make it ahead, keep it in the fridge, and toss it when you’re ready to serve, it’s excellent for meal prep for the very same reason – just layer it in smaller containers!
This salad is all about a rainbow of fresh and crunchy ingredients, but the dressing is what ties it all together. It’s an easy mixture made up of peanut butter, Sriracha, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, sesame seeds, and a bit of ginger and it’s the perfect balance of salty and sweet.
You’ll want to have the dressing be the bottom layer in your serving dish, so it doesn’t saturate and soften any of the ingredients too much. Our next layer here is romaine lettuce, but if you’re planning to stash it in the fridge for a while, you might want to start with the red cabbage which will hold up to sitting on top of the dressing a bit better.
That’s followed by shredded carrots…
… and green onion and chopped snow peas. (I told you it was a rainbow!)
And the final addition is plenty of sliced almonds. When you’re ready to serve this, all that’s left to do is toss it all in that lovely dressing and dig in. It ruins the beautiful layers, but you can be sure that you’re in for a healthy, vibrant, and delicious treat.
Layered Asian Salad
10m prep time
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
For the salad:
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas, chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Whisk together the peanut butter, Sriracha, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, sesame seeds, and ground ginger.
- Spread into the bottom of a clear trifle dish or bowl.
- Layer with lettuce, cabbage, carrots, green onions, snow peas, and almonds.
- Chill until ready to serve and toss with dressing just before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from My Food and Family.