Our Instant Pot is an instant miracle worker when it comes to making dinner. We’ve enjoyed so many wonderful meals since this wonderful device arrived in our kitchen. For dinner tonight, we’re planning on making something truly special; our Piña Colada chicken made in the Instant Pot is going to wow our hungry bunch with amazing food whipped up in virtually no time at all.
A Piña Colada is a classic tropical vacation drink made with pineapple and coconut milk or cream. We were inspired by these flavors when we created this amazing dish, one that is perfect for the Instant Pot. The recipe is centered upon five flavor-filled ingredients: salty and rich soy sauce, sweet and citrusy pineapple chunks, creamy coconut milk, bright and crisp bell peppers, and tender chicken thighs. Of course, we add some seasonings to really maximize flavor, and the end result is like eating a tropical vacation in a bowl.
To really amp up the coconut profile, we start by using coconut oil as the base. The chicken thighs are seared in the coconut oil and along the way the chicken picks up some of that delicious coconut flavor. Once the thighs are just golden, we can add in the rest of the ingredients, the pineapple chunks, diced bell pepper, soy sauce, and coconut milk. On goes the lid and we let the Instant Pot do the rest of the work, and the end result is just so unbelievably delicious.
What else can we possibly say about this recipe? Once the Instant Pot is opened, the meal truly speaks for itself. The chicken comes out so tender and filled with all those wonderful flavors that were added into the pot. Pineapple juice and of course the richness of the coconut milk both help to make a simple broth that coats everything with a sweet and savory flavor. The chicken practically falls apart while the bell pepper retains just enough of its crunch to add texture to each and every bite. With a few ingredients, we can whip up a meal in our Instant Pot to take our taste buds on a tropical get-away.
Instant Pot Piña Colada Chicken
20 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, cut into squares
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, cut into squares
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, 1/4 cup juices reserved
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- green onion, chopped on diagonal, garnish
- 2+ cups white rice, for serving
- Pour coconut oil into Instant Pot and set to sauté. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and jerk seasoning and brown on both sides.
- Add bell peppers, coconut milk, pineapple chunks and soy sauce, then close lid and seal vent.
- Press poultry button or set manually to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally, then open lid.
- In a small bowl, whisk together reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch to form a slurry.
- Stir into Instant Pot, then sauté for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Serve hot with white rice and green onion.