So you like to cook. I do too! (That’s why we’re all here, right?) The majority of the time, I’m pretty enthusiastic about making dinner and trying new recipes, but there are still plenty of evenings where I know I have to get dinner on the table but I don’t feel particularly motivated to do so. It happens to the best of us. And when it does, I find it so helpful to have a simple and dependable dish I can turn to, like this Lemon Garlic Chicken. It’s something you don’t have to think much about, or put much effort into, but the end result is still totally delicious and satisfying.
It’s hard to go wrong when anything is nestled in a lemony, garlicky butter sauce and true to form, these chicken thighs never disappoint. This dish has four cloves of garlic in it, and a little bit of garlic powder too just to make sure we’re super safe from vampires. That should be garlicky enough for most anyone, but of course, garlic is something you measure with your heart, and if you feel inclined to throw in even more… then have at it!
There’s a lot to love about this dish, not the least of which is its versatility. It’s great over noodles, or mashed potatoes, or even rice, and it’s a perfect companion for so many sides – a simple salad, or steamed broccoli, or roasted asparagus. It’s flavorful, and it fits in anywhere.
Lemon Garlic Chicken
Serves 4-6; 25 minutes
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 bunch parsley, minced, garnish
- 1 lemon, cut into slices or wedges, garnish, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Set instant pot to sauté and heat olive oil until it’s shimmering.
- Add chicken thighs and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Brown on both sides, roughly 3 minutes per side, then remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add butter to instant pot, then sauté onion for 6-8 minutes, or until softened and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, then stir in lemon juice to deglaze pan and season with Italian seasoning, lemon zest and chicken broth.
- Return chicken to instant pot, close lid, and seal pressure valve.
- Set to pressure cook on high for 7 minutes.
- Manually release pressure, then remove lid and transfer chicken to separate plate.
- Stir in heavy cream and sauté again for another 5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Cover chicken in sauce and serve hot, topped with parsley or lemons.
Recipe adapted from The Keto Diet Cafe.