If there’s anything more appetizing than regular crackers, it’s definitely got to be cheese crackers. While the ones from the store are tasty and all the work is done for you, the ones you can make at home are even more delicious. Plus you can pronounce everything on the ingredient list!
This chipotle cheddar cracker recipe comes from Ina Garten, a queen of entertaining. And, these crackers are very much perfect for parties and get togethers. But, they also make a terrific casual snack, too. Don’t wait for company to make these excellent little crackers.
There’s both jalapeño and chipotle pepper in these crackers. But, they aren’t so spicy that they’re hard to eat. Instead, there’s a gentle heat that perfectly offsets the rich cheddar cheese in these crisp little disks. But, if you’re sensitive to heat you can always reduce the amount of spicy ingredients in the recipe.
Unlike crackers from the store, these crackers will only be a thin as you slice them, which is why the dough needs to rolled into a log, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated for at least 30 minutes. Then while the oven is heating up slice the log into very thin pieces so they bake up nice and crispy.
The final touch is to add some sea salt (the flaky kind if you have it) on the crackers just before they go into the oven.
Eaten just as they are these crackers are wonderful. But, they also go well with more cheese on top or as the base for canapés.
In my experience these go really fast so it’s not a bad idea to make a double batch if you’ve got a gathering of folks to entertain!
Ina Garten's Chipotle Cheddar Crackers
Makes 30 crackers
1h 5m prep time
17m cook time
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for flouring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (or to taste)
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- flaked sea salt for topping (optional)
- Combine butter, cheese, flour, and salt using an electric mixer. Blend until a loose dough forms. On low speed add in chipotle, jalapeño, and black pepper. Blend only until just combined.
- Turn out dough onto a floured work top. Roll into a log about 1 1/ 2” wide and wrap in plastic wrap, using the plastic to help form the log.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. When ready to bake preheat oven to 350˚F. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/2” slices.
- Place on lined baking sheet and flatten lightly using a flat bottom measuring cup or mug. Sprinkle with sea salt if using and then bake for 15-17 minutes or until just beginning to brown on the bottom of crackers.
- Remove to wire cooling rack and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Parade.