Is there anything on this earth that satisfies a chocolate craving quite like a soft and fudgy brownie? If there is, we’re still searching for it. We’re of the opinion that a good brownie is the perfect chocolate craving fix and if it were up to us, brownies would be a permanent fixture in our kitchen. Keeping a box of brownie mix on hand makes that possible, but it’s not the most economical choice. And to be honest, it just doesn’t quite compare to a from-scratch brownie!
That’s why we like making our own homemade brownie mix. It lets us control the ingredients, costs less than buying a box of premade mix, and still means we can whip up a one-bowl batch of brownies at a moments notice. (And they retain that amazing homemade taste, too.)
This recipe makes an 8×8-inch square pan, which amounts to nine good sized brownies. What we like to do is mix up a few batches of mix at a time and keep them portioned out separately in ziptop bags or mason jars. It doesn’t take any extra time to make a few batches at once, and it means that you always have brownie mix on hand.
All it takes is some cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, sugar, and baking powder.
You mix those up and store them in an airtight container; we like to use gallon-sized ziptop bags.
When a brownie craving hits, you just add two eggs, 1/2 cup of oil or melted butter, and one teaspoon of vanilla…
And spread the thick batter into a square baking pan.
Bake them for about 20 minutes (start checking at 18 minutes if you like a softer brownie)…
And pull them out of the oven while you exercise every bit of patience you have while waiting for them to cool. Slice, serve, and enjoy brownies any time the craving strikes.
Homemade Brownie Mix
5 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Sift all dry ingredients together and store in a large ziplock bag or airtight container.
- When ready to bake, grease an 8-inch square baking pan and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix brownie mix with 1/2 cup oil, 2 eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared baking pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean, 20-22 minutes. Let cool before slicing. Enjoy!
Adapted from Crazy For Crust.