You know we love a good spin-off recipe around here where we take a classic and give it a bit of an update. We’ve done it with potato salad and chicken salad and pasta salad, and today is no different. And yet, it is, because we’re taking chicken salad in a direction we’ve never thought to take it in before…to Greece. That’s right, we made a Greek chicken salad and we loved how it turned out and immediately had to share it with you!
If you like Greek salad or anything smothered in creamy tzatziki, you’ll love this dish, as it’s essentially a tzatziki-smothered Greek salad, with lots of chicken to boot. First, make your tzatziki by whisking together Greek yogurt and a little mayo (to balance out the tang), along with lemon juice, fresh dill, garlic, and oregano. This sauce is ridiculously refreshing and can be made in a matter of minutes, so don’t feel like you only have to use it in this salad recipe, you can use it whenever! Then, that dressing gets poured over a big bowl of chicken, red onion, cucumber, red and yellow bell peppers, kalamata olives and feta. Goodness, this stuff is good!
The end result is a protein and nutrient-packed salad that’s perfect for any summertime lunch or dinner. It comes together quickly, makes for a delicious meal (and plenty of leftovers if you make a big batch), plus it’s good for you! We raved about this once we tried it and know for a fact that we’ll be making it again in the near future. What about you? Does it sound like something up your alley??
Greek Chicken Salad
30 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, roasted and cubed
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup feta
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt and mayonnaise and lemon juice, then stir in garlic, dill and oregano, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, red onion, cucumber, bell peppers, olives and feta.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss together, then taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Refrigerate for at least 15-20 minutes before serving.