This brown sauce is So. Good.
You know what we love about this recipe? This lemon parmesan broccoli chicken skillet tastes amazing, with a cheesy dark sauce that perfectly coats the chicken thighs – which are already full of flavor – and broccoli, so you get a nutrient and protein-packed meal without having to worry about any extras. Buuuut, that’s not all, the bonus here is that this dish looks just as great as it tastes. Apart from ending up with a truly great tasting meal, you’ve also got a dish that presents beautifully, so whether you’re just cooking for the family, or you’ve got a winner of a dinner that you can always count on to be a hit.
Since we went with chicken thighs, with all their aforementioned flavor, we didn’t need to do much to them to them to make ‘em sing, which let us focus our efforts on the sauce, this lemon-y, garlic-y, cheesy sauce. Start off with a roux, then whisk in your garlic and spices, and pour in the chicken broth and lemon juice. It’s nice and simple, with flavors that go perfectly together and make the chicken sing. Plus, you can make it as thick as you like, or as thin, if you want it to be a little on the saucier side. Throw in the broccoli and let it steam until it’s bright green and you’re good to go! We’ve lost count of the number of times we’ve made this for dinner, and it truly never fails to impress.
Lemon Broccoli Chicken Skillet
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- fresh parsley, optional, garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt, pepper and rosemary, then place in skillet, skin side down, and brown on both sides, switching after 5-6 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add butter to skillet and cook until melted, then whisk in flour to form a roux. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned, then whisk in Italian seasoning and onion powder.
- While stirring continuously, mix in chicken broth and lemon juice until smooth, then cook on low for 3-5 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in cheese and whisk until melted.
- Add broccoli to pan, then return chicken to skillet and lower heat to medium-low, then cover and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until broccoli is bright green and tender-crisp.
- Top with off with fresh parsley and lemon juice and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes