You could scramble up some eggs with Canadian bacon and mushrooms for breakfast. Or, you could do that same thing and then tuck the mixture into a creamy, cheesy sauce and bake it up under a blanket of crispy buttery cracker crumbs. I don’t know about you, but I think I’ll go with the latter. It may be a little more work than a quick scramble but I can promise you that this Egg Casserole is worth it every time. Every bite is irresistibly soft and creamy with a little bonus cracker crunch.
This casserole is really like a classic breakfast scramble… just extra. But you start the same way. You scramble up a bunch of eggs (seven whole eggs plus five more whites) with some Canadian bacon, mushrooms, and green onion.
The extra part is that you also make a quick bechamel that you fold plenty of cheddar cheese into and the scramble gets folded into that.
That gets topped with the aforementioned buttery cracker crumbs and everything bakes until the egg mixture is hot and bubbly and the cracker crumbs are crisp and golden brown.
It’s a delightfully soft casserole – creamy, cheesy eggs punctuated by savory ham and earthy mushrooms – but the cracker topping keeps it from being too one-note in texture. While it’s a little more time-intensive than a basic scramble, it’s not at all laborious and when it means you’ll be biting into the creamiest eggs you’ll ever have, those few extra minutes are well worth it.
Egg Casserole with Canadian Bacon
5m prep time
40m cook time
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups Canadian bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 eggs
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring frequently, and cook until thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir in cheese until melted, and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Crush crackers in a ziptop bag and mix with paprika. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, green onion, and Canadian bacon and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add eggs and cook until just set, stirring often.
- Stir egg mixture into cheese sauce and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with cracker crumbs and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Runner.