Maybe you planned it or maybe you just got creative in a pinch, but a batch of homemade hummus is one of the best ways to serve up a quick and healthy snack. In this recipe, you don’t need to pick up tahini paste or pine nuts (unless you really want them in your hummus). For our easy homemade hummus, all you’ll need is a handful of staples from the pantry and refrigerator to whip up – literally – one of our most favorite dips.
Garbanzos – also known as chickpeas – are a delightful little bean that is packed with goodness. They’re great in this hummus, but we also like to eat them roasted and salted or scattered over the top of a salad for some added protein. Naturally, it’s easy to pick up a container of hummus at your grocery store, but we all know how much better food tastes when it’s made fresh, right in our own kitchen, and think about how cost-effective this is! A can of chickpeas, some olive oil, garlic, and fresh lemon juice and with a quick blitz of the blender or food processor, a fresh hummus dip is ready to serve.
A hummus dip goes great with a few slices of cucumber or some toasted pita bread. There’s something about the rich creaminess of the hummus that works really well with things that crunch – so vegetables, crackers, or chips are a perfect sidekick to your scratch-made hummus. If you’re headed over to a party to watch the big game or need to bring something to your next book club meeting, rather than stopping by the store, why not whip up a batch of quick, easy, and delicious hummus to share with friends.
Easy Homemade Hummus
10 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup water
- Rinse and drain garbanzo beans in a colander then transfer beans to a blender or food processor.
- Add lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of water, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, cumin, and garlic.
- Puree mixture until smooth, adding more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until hummus reaches desired consistency.
- Transfer hummus to a serving bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil to serve.
Recipe adapted from The Wholesome Dish.