There’s a lot to love about cucumber salads. They’re crisp and crunchy, they’re refreshing, and they’re a great way to get some veggies in. This Polish version is all of that… but it’s so much more! It’s also quick to make, creamy, and punctuated with herby dill and the peppery bite of radish. It’s an irresistible summer salad that’ll keep you… well, cool as a cucumber.
Known as “Mizeria” throughout Poland, this salad takes all of fifteen minutes to throw together. You start by slicing cucumbers very thinly, sprinkling them with salt, and letting them sit in a colander to drain. This helps ensure that the final salad stays creamy and not watery. From there, you simply mix together a quick dressing of mayonnaise, sour cream, and a little bit of lemon juice and sugar before tossing it together with the cucumbers, and some thinly sliced radishes, fresh dill, and a few green onions.
While it can be hard to wait for something so good, a little patience does pay off here. This salad really shines when it has had time to chill completely, so give it some time to hang out in the fridge before you serve it. Cucumbers are refreshing no matter what, but letting this salad chill not only gives the flavors a chance to meld, it also really highlights the cool and creamy crispness it has going on.
This salad is perfect for a picnic or potluck, but we also love prepping it as a lunch side to eat throughout the week. It hangs out in the fridge quite well, so it’s a great choice when you need to throw something together ahead of time. But fair warning, it can be hard not to eat it all yourself before you need to serve it!
Serves 4-6; 15 minutes
- 4-5 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar, optional
- Place cucumber slices in a large colander resting on a bowl or in the sink. Sprinkle with salt and set aside, letting juices drain from cucumber for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice and sugar, if using.
- Add cucumbers, radish, green onions, and dill, and toss everything together to combine.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
Adapted from Culinary Mamas.