Everyone loves waking up to a warm and hearty homemade breakfast on a lazy Saturday morning, but no one wants to spend hours in the kitchen preparing it. With this cheesy spinach casserole, it’s easy to enjoy a satisfying breakfast during the week as well as the weekend.
A subtle hint of garlic brings out the rich egg and cheese flavors and tender baby spinach lends hearty texture and color. It’s ready for the oven in just 15 minutes, and it cooks in under an hour so there’s plenty of time to enjoy the morning. Best of all, any leftovers taste just as good when they’re reheated. We think this is pretty good as a breakfast-for-dinner meal too!
Spinach and Egg Breakfast Casserole
1 hour to prepare 6 to 8
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3-4 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt butter over medium heat in medium skillet. Sauté onion until tender and translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add spinach, stirring until just wilted. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs in large bowl. Whisk in milk and sour cream until creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Add mozzarella cheese and spinach mixture, stirring to incorporate all ingredients.
- Pour egg mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until firm and a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center.
Recipe adapted from Butter Is Not a Carb