Packed with protein and lots of veggies, this hearty eggplant soup is as nutritious as it is delicious, and it couldn’t be any easier to make. With a total cooking and prep time of under an hour, it’s our go-to choice for busy days when we don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen – plus it’s good for us! We added a quick side of fresh bread for the perfect complement to this soup, but you could easily just add a fresh salad into the mix and be good to go…. Either way, check this yummy soup out!
Eggplant Barley Stew
1 hour to prepare serves 4
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 1/2 cups barley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Toss cubed eggplant, onion and garlic with extra-virgin olive oil in a large bowl.
- Transfer vegetables to a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan, forming a single layer.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until the eggplant is cooked through.
- Remove roasted veggies from oven and place, along with lentils, in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and basil.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil, cooking for 10-15 minutes, or until barley is cooked. Use the back of a spoon to mash eggplant until desired chunkiness is reached.
- Ladle in to bowls, garnish with freshly chopped parsley, and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart