There’s nothing flashy about this dish, but it sure tastes delicious!
We love finding dinners that take us back to our childhood favorites, and this cowboy casserole really does the trick. This dinner is a fun take on Shepherd’s pie. It has a layer of browned beef and corn in a creamy mushroom gravy, but instead of mashed potatoes, this creative meal uses frozen tater tots topped with plenty of melted cheese.
We like to pair our cowboy casserole with a side salad or steamed veggies to round out the meal. Sometimes we even put this casserole together ahead of time and pop it in the freezer to save for a busy night. It’s a great casserole to share as a housewarming gift or to take to a potluck. The next time you need a crowd-pleasing dish that’ll remind you of home, try our hearty cowboy casserole.
- 1 (32 oz) package frozen tater tots
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided; half for filling and half for top
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (10 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown ground beef in a large pan over medium heat until no longer pink. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
- Add onions to pan and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Return ground beef to pan. Stir in corn, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour beef and vegetable mixture into a casserole dish. Place frozen tater tops on top in a single layer and cover with reserved cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tater tots are fully cooked.
Recipe adapted from Six Sisters Stuff