Comfort food doesn’t have to be fussy, but it does need to be covered in cheese!
This classic chicken casserole is comfort food at its finest. It’s warm, creamy, super cheesy…definitely our idea of ultimate satisfaction! Tender chicken pairs with fluffy white rice within a rich cheese sauce. It’s so simple, and it tastes extraordinary.
With a few basics from the pantry and freezer and just a few minutes of prep time, this cheesy chicken casserole is in the oven. All we have to do is wait for the goodness to finish cooking while we enjoy the rest of our evening. It’s a Sunday night favorite at our house because it’s so easy and so incredibly yummy!
Cheesy Chicken Casserole
1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups white rice, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups three-cheese blend, shredded and divided
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 2 (10 oz.) cans low-sodium cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Mix milk and soup together in large bowl until smooth. Stir in peppers, celery, uncooked rice and 1 cup of cheese. Season with onion and garlic powders, salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Top with chicken thighs. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Allow cheese to melt before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Buns In My Oven