Crispy edges, tender center, and caramelized cabbage flavor.
I don’t know about you, but I seem to rarely remember cabbage as an option for a vegetable side. But this dish changes all that – it’s hard to forget. It’s simple to prepare, but the slow roasting of the cabbage teases out their inherent sweetness that this recipe balances perfectly with a savory seasoning mix. You get crispy edges, tender centers, and a wholly delicious veggie with very little effort on your part.
You’ll want to start by greasing a sheet pan liberally with oil. It ensures nothing sticks and helps in the crispiness department, which is one of the main goals here. You’ll also want to slice your cabbage thin, which gives it a chance to really cook through and become tender in the middle and golden brown everywhere else.
Each cabbage “steak” gets brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder before it heads into a 400 degree oven. They bake for quite a while – forty-five minutes to a full hour – but don’t rush it, that’s how these get an amazing caramelized flavor and crispy texture.
This isn’t your grandma’s sad and soggy cabbage, this is cabbage made crispy with a subtle caramelized flavor that’s backed up with a little savory dusting. (In other words, you’ve got a great balance of flavor going on here.) If you pop it in the oven while you work on the rest of dinner, you won’t even notice that it takes a bit of time, and even if you did, you won’t mind at all once you take your first bite.
Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks
5m prep time
45m cook time
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice cabbage from top to stem in 1/2-inch to 1/4-inch slices. Arrange on prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, stir together salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder.
- Brush each cabbage steak with olive oil, then sprinkle with seasoning mix.
- Roast on center rack until caramelized and tender, 45-60 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Mama Loves Food.