Bring two classic steakhouse side dishes right into your own kitchen.
Creamed spinach is a luxuriously decadent way to eat your leafy greens. Typically this is a side dish that we associate with the holidays, but there’s no reason why we can’t enjoy this year round. By adding potatoes and a ton of cheese, we can turn this into a hearty side dish that is perfect for a dinner party or a weeknight dinner. Besides, is there a better way to eat your vegetables other than with a cream sauce and three different kinds of cheese? I think not.
There are several different ways to make a creamed spinach. For this particular recipe, we’re going with a creamy sour cream and mayonnaise sauce that’s made even richer by adding eggs and a combination of parmesan and romano cheese. The cheeses are on the salty side, so to add more depth we really like to add spice with a teaspoon or two of cayenne pepper that will put a little pep into the step of the creamed spinach. Slices of potatoes layered along the bottom of the dish add a wonderful texture and of course make the casserole even heartier. A generous helping of mozzarella cheese goes over the top and then into the oven our creamed spinach and potatoes go.
What comes out of the oven is something truly amazing. A serving of this rich and creamy creamed spinach and potato casserole will undoubtedly lead to seconds or thirds if there’s any left behind. Even our most skeptical spinach critics will likely find themselves won over by this recipe. A creamed spinach and potato casserole is a perfect side dish to steak or chicken and has just enough rustic elegance to make it feel a little fancy and decadent. Tuck this recipe away in your recipe box for a special occasion or for a weeknight when you’ve got a little extra time to put something special on the table.
Creamed Spinach and Potato Casserole
- 2 russet potatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup Romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Sauté onions until translucent. Transfer onions to a large bowl.
- Add spinach to bowl with onions. Add sour cream, mayonnaise, beaten eggs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, Parmesan and Romano cheese. Stir until spinach mixture is well combined.
- Layer slices of potato in an overlapping pattern on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Pour spinach mixture over top of potatoes. Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until cheese on top is golden brown on the edges.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Barbells & Bellinis.