Oftentimes pasta is a great solution for a quick and reasonably healthy meal. This Cream Cheese Chicken Spaghetti is quick, but you can’t really call it health food. Not by a long shot! No, this is guilty pleasure comfort food through and through – it’s spaghetti in an easy but irresistibly creamy sauce (hello Velvetta!) that’s baked under a blanket of ooey-gooey cheddar and it is SO well worth the occasional indulgence.
Are you making a roux and building a mornay sauce to coat these noodles in creaminess? No, not this time. Are you merely stirring together a few kitchen shortcut ingredients and getting an unapologetically creamy and delicious sauce anyway? Yes, yes you are.
There’s Velveeta, cream cheese, two cans of cream of chicken soup, and some Rotel in this sauce and they all come together quickly in a saucepan. While I hesitate to call Velveeta actual cheese, it does make for an extremely creamy eating experience and it does its job well here. The tomatoes and chilies from the Rotel add a touch of zestiness, but the sauce is really all about creamy, cheesy flavor.
Shredded chicken gets folded in too, so this is plenty hearty and after a topping of grated cheddar, the entire dish takes a turn in the oven to get bubbly and melty (which are always features you want when it comes to comfort food).
It’s a good thing that there’s room in life for the occasional culinary guilty pleasure and this is just the dish to partake in when that type of craving strikes. Utterly creamy, cheesy, and filling, it’s comfort food at its best.
Cream Cheese Chicken Spaghetti
Creamy, cheesy, unapologetic comfort food.
Serves 6; 10 minutes to prepare, 25 minutes cook time
- 1 lb dry spaghetti
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 (10 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot over low heat, combine the Rotel, cream of chicken soups, Velveeta, and cream cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese has melted.
- Add chicken, spaghetti, and garlic powder and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and top with cheddar cheese. Bake until bubbly, 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Southern Bite.