It’s pretty clear that here at 12 Tomatoes, we love comfort food and we love casseroles, and this Comfort Chicken Casserole embodies the best qualities of both. A delicious casserole made creamy by that old cream soup standby, it’s a simple recipe where you stir everything together in the baking dish, top it with some irresistible crunchiness and pop it in the oven. It’s about five minutes of effort for a bubbly hot dish that the whole family is always happy about.
There’s rice and chicken so this is plenty hearty enough, and there’s also celery and sliced almonds for crunch. You gather all of that together in your baking dish, along with some mayo and cream of chicken soup and give it a stir.
It doesn’t really get easier than that, but you still get a ton of lovely flavor. The rice and chicken are blanketed in creaminess and the almonds and celery keep it from being too soft. But of course, the topping helps with that as well. Ohhhh, that topping…
It seems that an unexpected ingredient used as a topping always makes for a tasty treat and that’s just what happens here. Crushed cornflake cereal is amplified by some melted butter and it bakes into a topping that’s airy but crisp and just the thing to top off this simple but comforting bake.
Comfort Chicken Casserole
Serves 6; 5 minutes prep, 40 minutes cook time
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup corn flake cereal, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Add chicken, cream of chicken soup, rice, almonds, mayonnaise, celery, garlic powder, salt and pepper to baking dish and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle crushed corn flakes over casserole and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Mom on Timeout.