So tasty- and there’s no frying involved at all.
Shrimp isn’t something I eat all the time, but it’s a wonderful treat every now and then. And there’s no shrimp quite so tasty as breaded shrimp. In this coconut curry shrimp with kale the shrimp are breaded in a tasty coconut flake curry dredge. But, unlike your standard popcorn shrimp these shrimp are baked instead of fried.
Served alongside some fragrant coconut rice and crispy kale chips this is one dinner that really lives up to shrimp’s special occasion reputation.
To start making this recipe you’ll need to soak the shrimp in a marinade of coconut milk, honey, and lime juice. This ensures they come out tender and full of flavor. They need about 30 minutes in the marinade before you bread them.
Now, this breading isn’t your usual breading. It’s got melted butter, panko breadcrumbs, curry, and pieces of coconut in it for a hit of flavor that’s unreal.
I like to use chopsticks to fish them out of the breading so that as many pieces of coconut stick to the shrimp as possible.
Because we’re frying these shrimp instead of frying, the coconut pieces stay piled onto the shrimp and get baked on. This is not only healthier, but also a lot easier than frying. And they still turn out nice and crispy.
Once the shrimp are done baking then you simply layer the rice and kale, then top with the shrimp. There’s no extra sauce with this recipe and it comes together shockingly easy. The only thing you need to do ahead of time is to marinate the shrimp and bake the kale.
The next time you want something with curry flavor this tasty coconut curry shrimp with kale might be the just the thing to hit the spot.
Coconut Curry Shrimp with Kale
50m prep time
50m cook time
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch kale, de-ribbed and chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Whisk together 1/2 cup coconut milk, honey, and lime juice in large bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Add kale to baking sheet and coat with oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges of kale begin to crisp up.
- While kale is baking bring 1 cup water and 1 cup coconut milk to boil. Add rice and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Add salt to taste.
- In another bowl combine curry powder, breadcrumbs, coconut, and melted butter. Dip shrimp in breadcrumb mixture then place on lined baking sheet. Add salt to taste. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until shrimp begin to curl up.
- Add parsley to rice and stir. Serve shrimp over rice with kale.
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman.