You’ve had chicken pot pie before, but you’ve never had it quite like this!
You’ve had chicken pot pie before, but you’ve never had it quite like this! With all of the rich and creamy deliciousness of the traditional recipe, as well as being stuffed to the brim with chicken and veggies, this pot pie has a twist; rather, it has a braid! This braided breadstick top adds texture and ups your pot pie game with very little effort. Using refrigerated biscuit dough rolled out into strips, this impressive dish really comes together quite quickly. Top it all off with extra cheese for a crispy crunch, and there you have it: pot pie reimagined. Go ahead, get cooking!
Chicken Pot Pie With Cheesy Breadstick Crust
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (turkey works as well for a post-Thanksgiving meal)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- A splash of white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh thyme to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Optional: parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, then add onion and carrots. Cook until onions start to turn translucent, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the chicken and peas, and sprinkle flour over. Stir until well combined with the vegetables. cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and wine, and stir around to allow to thicken.
- Once the mixture starts to thicken, add turmeric, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Add cream, then stir and allow the mixture to bubble and thicken (about 3 minutes).
- Prepare a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray, and pour in the filling.
- For the breadstick crust: roll out the pizza dough, and cut into approximately 2” strips. Make a lattice pattern by laying the strips across the top of the 2-quart dish, and weaving in additional strips of dough.
- Mix together the egg and water, then brush over the surface.
- Place the pot pie on a rimmed baking sheet and lightly cover the crust with foil. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil, and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, if desired. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until the crust is a golden brown.
- Garnish if desired. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman.