Who doesn’t love mac and cheese? Carbs, cheesy goodness, and fond childhood memories make it the ultimate comfort food. I’ll admit that I still get the blue box of beloved mac and cheese every once in a while for nostalgia reasons, but there are so many wonderful homemade recipes for this classic dish!
If you’re looking to upgrade from the boxed stuff, then this is a great recipe for you to try. Some homemade mac and cheese recipes call for an extensive list of ingredients and require some baking in the oven. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it can be time-consuming. This Chicken Enchilada Mac and Cheese comes together in under 30 minutes and has a creamy sauce rather than a baked, casserole feel.
Aside from being an easy meal to get on the table quickly, this dish is absolutely bursting with flavor and cheesy goodness. Start by cooking the noodles and shredding up some chicken. The delicious sauce consists of red enchilada sauce as well as a few added spices to complement and bring out all of the flavors you love about enchiladas.
The secret ingredient to this decadent sauce is heavy whipping cream. Hey, I told you this was comfort food at its finest, right? After bringing the enchilada sauce and heavy cream mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and fold in Colby jack cheese, or another cheese of your choosing.
After the sauce is cooked, fold in the noodles and shredded chicken! Top with cumin and some extra shredded cheese, and dinner is all done. One bite of this rich, flavorful mac and cheese, and you might never go back to the boxed stuff! Go ahead and see how simple this recipe is to throw together. I guarantee your family will go back for seconds. Mine certainly did!
Chicken Enchilada Mac and Cheese
5m prep time
15m cook time
- 16 oz medium pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups colby jack cheese, shredded
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat cream, enchilada sauce, cumin, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble. Stir often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in cheese. Stir until smooth.
- Fold in the cooked chicken and the cooked noodles.
- Serve hot and enjoy immediately!
Recipe adapted from Shugary Sweets.