Mexican and Italian cuisine come together to make this new, awesome dinner idea!
Tacos, or lasagna? That’s a difficult choice! On one hand, you have spiced beef and cheese rolled up into a soft tortilla. On the other hand, you have layers of cheese, meet, and carbs. Why, oh why must we decide between the two?
Now, you don’t have to. Presenting: Cheesy Taco Lasagna. This dish leans more on the taco side with its seasonings and flavor profile, but that doesn’t mean it’s not overflowing with delicious cheese! This layered taco dish will satisfy your taco night craving while keeping things interesting.
Perhaps my favorite part of this whole meal is the decadent cheese sauce. You’ll melt butter in a sauce pan and then add heavy cream and 2 cups of cheese. Um, yes, please! Coupled with the seasoned beef and a heaping helping of Pico de Gallo, and this dinner is sure to be a hit.
Once you have all of the separate pieces of your lasagna ready to go, it’s time to layer up and bake! Start by lining the baking dish with tortillas. Then, pour a third of the beef onto the tortillas, followed by a big scoop of the cheese sauce and a handful of Pico de Gallo. Repeat these layers 3 times, adding more cheese on top. Obviously.
Bake at 400° for 20 minutes, then let this beautiful taco lasagna cool for a bit before serving. I like to add a little more Pico de Gallo on top, as well as sliced green onions and sour cream. Doesn’t this meal look absolutely mouthwatering? See how easy it is to throw together in the recipe below!
10m prep time
20m cook time
- 1 package of taco size flour tortillas (about 12 tortillas needed for this recipe)
- 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 2 cups Pico de Gallo
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Sour cream & chopped green onions for toppings (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400º and grease a 9x11 baking dish.
- Brown hamburger, drain the grease.
- Add taco seasoning packet to meat according to directions on the packet.
- Melt butter in a separate pot over medium-low heat. Add heavy cream, stirring gently mix with a whisk. Stir in 2 cups shredded cheese until melted.
- Cut tortillas in half and line the baking dish.
- To assemble the lasagna, layer 1/3 of the taco meat over the tortillas, followed by 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle pico de gallo over cheese and repeat two more times.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Smart School House