Chicken is one of the most popular meats in the world and because of this there’s no shortage of recipes for chicken out there. Anyway you can think to make chicken -in mole sauce, fried chicken, chicken strips, chicken Alfredo- it’s all been done in some way. But, when we came across this recipe for Buffalo chicken parmesan we knew we had to make it ASAP. Not only does it sound tempting, it’s also not a recipe we’ve ever seen before.
The spiciness of the Buffalo sauce is mellowed out by the cheese in the recipe and it makes the perfect dinner. You won’t find this one in every recipe box, but it’s so good that we think everyone should try it.
To start making this recipe you’ll need to take two large chicken breasts and cut them in half horizontally to make 4 cutlets. Alternately you can buy pre-made cutlets as well. Then use a meat tenderizer tool to thin out each breast and to make sure that they are all an even thickness. This ensures that the cutlets all cook at the same rate.
The next step is where the flavor starts to happen. Marinate the cutlets in 1/4 cup of Buffalo or Tabasco sauce for one hour before preheating the oven and moving on to the next steps.
Combine the breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Then coat each cutlet in the spiced bread crumb mixture. Fry the chicken for 6-8 minutes on each side in a cast iron skillet.
Then combine 1 tablespoon of ranch dressing with 1/4 cup of the Buffalo sauce. You could also use bleu cheese dressing here instead if you prefer. Pour the dressing mixture over the chicken and then top each cutlet with a slice of provolone cheese before baking in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Serve this flavorful chicken over rice, pasta, or in between two slices of thick bread for an amazing sandwich. This main dish is very versatile and adds some kick to your dinner routine. We love the way that the flavors come together in this very special recipe.
Buffalo Chicken Parmesan
1h 25m prep time
20m cook time
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Tabasco or buffalo sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon ranch dressing
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and cleanly cut along edges to make 4 cutlets. Use a meat tenderizer to make sure they are even thickness.
- Place cutlets into a casserole dish and coat with 1/4 cup of Tabasco sauce. Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Once chicken has been marinated preheat oven to 400˚. Combine breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Heat a large oven-safe cast iron skillet over medium heat. Coat each piece of chicken in breadcrumbs. Melt butter in pan and fry coated chicken cutlets for 6-8 minutes each side. Remove from heat.
- Combine ranch seasoning with remaining 1/4 cup of Tabasco sauce. Pour sauce mixture over chicken cutlets. Top each piece of chicken with a slice of provolone cheese and bake uncovered in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- Serve on thick bread for sandwiches or on a bed of rice or pasta.
Recipe adapted from The Cookful.