While some dishes seem to have a certain “seasonality” about them, we figure there’s no wrong time to make a favorite recipe; if you’ve got a hankering for something – make it! In this case, we decided we NEEDED to make a poke cake, and it had to be a blueberry poke cake. But not just any blueberry poke cake, no, a blueberry cheesecake poke cake.
Whether it’s the hottest day in July or the most freezing day in January, we frequently get cravings for this cake and there’s no way to satiate them but to make it immediately. We make the blueberry sauce/topping ourselves, but you could just as easily use blueberry jam. Regardless of whether it’s homemade, the blueberries pair perfectly with the cheesecake filling that soaks down into the warm cake. This dessert is decadent bliss, so make a quick trip to the store if you need to and try it out!
Blueberry Poke Cake
Serves 12; 1 hour
- 1 box super moist white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (3.4 oz) package instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, oil and water in a large bowl and mix to until smooth and incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish, then bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Place blueberries in a large pan or skillet and add sugar, cornstarch and water, and cook until syrupy.
- Remove cake from oven and use a straw or chopstick(s) to poke holes all over cake. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pudding mix with 1 1/2 cups milk until smooth, then let rest 5 minutes, or until starting to firm. Spread pudding over cake, smoothing it out so it fills in the holes.
- Spread blueberry mixture over cheesecake pudding and set aside.
- Combine cream cheese and heavy cream in a bowl and stir until smooth, then gradually add powdered sugar.
- Gently spread cream cheese mixture over your cake, then slice, serve and enjoy!