When it comes to summer salads, we’ve got just the recipe. Sure, fruits and fresh greens are perfect when the weather is warm and we want something light and fresh, but we also love going in a slightly different direction with this Asian quinoa and farro salad. It’s as refreshing as it is hearty; refreshing because it shakes up our salad routine and hearty because of all of its amazing ingredients. This salad is one that we love for an afternoon lunch with friends, something we might take to work, and we can easily add a protein like salmon or chicken to make it more dinnertime appropriate. With fresh ingredients like these, we can’t go wrong.
The crisp cabbage and combination of crunchy nuts bring a hearty texture, while the grains of quinoa and farro add substance. Then we add in even more dynamic flavor combinations, like sweet carrots and peas, black-eyed peas, and a soy-ginger dressing that you’ll practically want to lick off of the salad plate.
This is probably one of our favorite parts of this salad and we love the salty-sweet combination of soy sauce and honey, of course with other contributing flavors from the addition of ginger and garlic. This is whisked together and poured over the top to add another layer of flavor to the salad.
A truly satisfying salad is what you’ll find here. The crunch of each bite makes us feel like we’re really eating something hearty and delicious. There’s a surprising amount of substance and texture to a salad that looks so light and fresh. Our Asian quinoa and farro salad will definitely make an impression and folks will surely ask for the recipe. We love how simple it was to prepare, how amazing it tastes, and how pretty it looks!
Asian Quinoa And Farro Salad
30 min to prepare serves 4
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup farro, cooked
- 1 cup green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole almonds, unseasoned
- ½ cup peanuts, unseasoned
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds or chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, honey, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix cooked quinoa and farro in a large bowl. Add shredded cabbage, peas, carrots, black eyed peas, peanuts, and almonds.
- Pour dressing over top of grains and vegetables. Toss to combine. Sprinkle sesame seeds (or chia seeds) over top to serve.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod.