It’s apple season, everyone! And that means all kinds of fun with apples, from ciders to pies and everything in between. We love baking with fresh seasonal ingredients and apples are definitely a favorite Fall ingredient. Our apple streusel pie is a great way to celebrate all the goodness that apples have to offer. This recipe couldn’t be more simple and amazing, and perfect for any occasion, be it a book club, family gathering, or as a special treat to have at home. It makes the kitchen smell ah-mazing, too!
Pretty much any good baking apple will work well here, so feel free to play with the varieties and maybe try something different from the usual Granny Smith variety, like a Jonagold, Honeycrisp, or Braeburn. As important as the apples are here, we’d like to draw particular attention to the streusel topping. Sugary, buttery, and golden-crumbly, it’s the perfect crust to the apple filling. It adds sweetness and of course texture to the pie, as it bakes into a lovely golden brown crust atop the sweet apple filling. Nothing quite says fall like a fresh apple pie, and certainly, this apple streusel pie is something that couldn’t be a more fitting way to bake ourselves into the season.
Not to be forgotten in this is the crust, and we’ve got a great recipe for a no-fuss homemade pie crust. But if time is of the essence, then a storebought pie crust will absolutely do the trick. We want something light and flaky that will provide the perfect supporting role to the amazing apple filling and streusel topping. Once the pie has finished baking, it needs a few minutes to cool down and set up. After an appropriate amount of time has passed – or until your patience has finally run out – it’s time to cut a slice. Oh, this is just divine! Our apple streusel pie is such a wonderful way to fill our home with the tastes and smells of fall. Enjoy!
Apple Streusel Pie
Serves 8-10; 1 hour 30 minutes, plus cooling time
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust
- Pie Filling:
- 6 large baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For streusel topping:
- 1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Press pie crust into a 9-inch round baking dish.
- Prepare streusel topping. Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, ½ cup flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, salt, and cubed butter. Mix with clean fingers until crumbly. Set aside.
- Mix 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg, heavy cream, and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined. Add sugar mixture to egg mixture and whisk to combine. Evenly distribute apple slices around pie shell. Pour liquid mixture over top of apples until pie shell is ¾ full.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and evenly spread streusel mixture over top of pie. Return sheet pan to oven and bake for an additional 45-50 minutes.
- Set pie on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Recipe adapted from The Mom 100.