We can’t imagine a more simple process to baking something so delicious!
With all of the cooking and baking that comes with the holiday season, we’ve got a great shortcut to a homemade classic. And you won’t believe what makes these so delicious: a lemon-lime soda bath. These apple dumplings are beyond easy to prepare and are guaranteed to please. A few store-bought ingredients coupled with pantry staples and bada-bing-bada-boom, you’ve got an absolutely delicious dessert to serve to guests.
Truly, the secret ingredient to knocking this dessert out of the park is one can of lemon-lime soda; it adds sweetness and moisture to the dumplings, but we don’t need to appreciate the chemistry of it all in order to understand that it’s a formula for success. Serve this warm from the oven topped with a scoop of cool vanilla ice cream. But don’t assume this is only for dessert! These dumplings could easily be served with brunch, topped with fresh fruit and served alongside eggs. Whatever excuse you need to make these is a good one!
5 Ingredient Apple Dumplings
- 2 (8oz) cans refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 (20oz) can apple pie filling
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 can lemon-lime soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 13" x 9" baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Unpack crescent rolls and separate into pre-cut triangles.
- Scoop a spoonful of apple pie filling into the widest part of the dough, then roll to wrap: take the bottom end of triangle and roll it up and away from you to seal the pocket.
- Place apple-stuffed roll in greased baking dish and repeat until all of the dough is used.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until mixture is smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Dollop a teaspoon of butter mixture over each crescent roll, then pour lemon-lime soda into baking dish, filling the space between each roll - do not pour over top of rolls.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Serve warm and topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Recipe adapted from Sugar Apron