We love all different types of food, but pasta – any kind, we love it all – is our go-to. Of all the different possibilities (dare we say pastabilities?), lasagna is the one that we crave most frequently, but we don’t make it too often considering how much work is involved. We’ve made slow cooker lasagna before using lasagna noodles, but that still meant having to make a filling to go between the layers…this time around we decide to make things even easier and even better!
Instead of using lasagna noodles and making a from-scratch filling, use refrigerated ravioli instead! Feel free to use any type of stuffed ravioli – we like using ricotta and spinach-stuffed ones – then start layering up your slow cooker with ground beef, tomato sauce and ravioli; turn the slow cooker on, then come back in a couple of hours and dig into a delicious lasagna-ravioli dinner that everyone will love! Trust us, you might not go back to the traditional version after trying this one….
Slow Cooker Ravioli Lasagna
4 hours to prepare serves 6
- 1 (25-30 oz.) package ravioli, filling of your choice
- 1 (45 oz.) jar tomato sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh basil, optional
- Cook beef, onion and garlic in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned all over and no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Season beef generously with Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes (if using), and salt and pepper, then stir in pasta sauce.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce on the bottom of slow cooker, then top with 1 layer of ravioli. Sprinkle cheese over uncooked pasta and top with more layers of sauce, pasta and cheese, ending with a final layer of cheese.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once pasta is cooked through and cheese is melted, scoop lasagna into bowls, top with fresh basil and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies