In the land of food, there are some ingredients that just make really good friends. Peanut butter and jelly, bacon and eggs, milk and cookies… Well, we’d certainly count garlic and butter among those buddies, and if you add in some fresh chopped herbs, before you know it you’ve got the three musketeers! These mushrooms cook slowly in that delightful trio for a tender and savory side dish that we can’t get enough of.
These Slow Cooker Mushrooms are as simple as can be to put together. All you do is arrange a nice little butter and wine bath for some tiny mushrooms and let them simmer away in the crockpot with some flavorful herbs and garlic. The mushrooms absorb all of that goodness, and some half and half stirred in at the end lends some heavenly creaminess. We find that the flavor of fresh herbs holds up better in the slow cooker than dried, but if dried is all you have on hand, this dish will still come out tasting great.
While regular white button mushrooms would work fine in this dish, crimini mushrooms are a little bit more mature and so have a deeper earthy flavor. Because they’re firmer, they hold up in liquid better and retain their unique and delicate texture. We absolutely love the savory combination here of butter, wine, cream, garlic, and herbs and these little mushrooms are the perfect pal to showcase it.
Slow Cooker Mushrooms
4 hours inactive, 10 minutes active
- 1 1/2 pounds Crimini mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a 3-qt slow cooker, combine mushrooms, garlic, oregano, thyme, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in butter and white wine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours (or high heat for 1-2 hours). Stir in half and half during last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving, if desired. Enjoy!
Adapted from Damn Delicious.