Add some cheesy jalapeno pep to your side dish step!
Preparing a vegetable side dish that has the right blend of flavors to make everyone happy at your table can be a tall order, but good, old-fashioned, sweet corn is an excellent starting point. We all know that opening a can of corn is just about as easy as it gets and that sweet, familiar flavor is so appealing, but hear us out: by adding just a few more choice ingredients, you can turn something that good into something positively great like this cheesy jalapeño corn recipe without lifting a finger.
Now, if you don’t often do spicy food we urge you to keep an open mind when it comes to the jalapeños on the list. Why? Because they infuse the corn with such ridiculous flavor without being overly spicy (thanks to two hours in your handy slow cooker). Can we ever really say enough good things about the convenience of a slow cooker? We certainly don’t think so, because it allows you to accomplish so much else while a short list of ingredients come together beautifully.
Last, but not least, there are also two different types of cheeses in the mix, and we love how creamy the corn becomes, thanks to nourishing sour cream. Sharp cheddar adds so much melty texture, definitely making this one of those dishes we know you’ll be asked to make again and again. After all, can you say no to a bowl full of flavor that comes together while you pretty much get to do whatever you please? We didn’t think so.
15 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive
- 5 (15.25 oz.) cans whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 (8 oz.) package sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place corn and chopped jalapeño in the bottom of your slow cooker, then season with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of mixture, then top with cubed cream cheese.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours (or on low for 4).
- Stir everything together until melted and smooth and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker