This Asian style beef stew is wonderful served with either rice, noodles, or scallion pancakes. It’s hearty and flavorful, but with the kick of ginger which makes this stew recipe a little bit more special. If you’ve been craving something rich but not boring then this is the stew for you! What’s even better is that this can be made in the slow cooker and left to cook while you get on with your day.
To start with you’ll need to season the beef with the salt, pepper, soy sauce, and garlic. Then you brown the beef in a skillet before transferring to the slow cooker pot.
To the slow cooker you add the veggies, hoisin sauce, and beef stock.
Set the slow cooker to high for 3-4 hours or 7-8 hours on low. Then you add a cornstarch mixture to the stew before setting the cooker to high and cooking for another 30 minutes.
The nice thing about stews is that they are so much better the next day once all the flavors have time to meld together and open up. This recipe is an ideal one to make ahead of time. You could even do some meal prep in the slow cooker on a night when you’re making another meal on the stovetop or in the oven for maximum efficiency.
No matter how you serve it this is one stew for the regular recipe rotation!
Slow Cooker Ginger Beef Stew
serves 4; 20 minutes prep, 4 hours 30 minutes cook time
- 1 lb stew beef, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups sliced carrots, peeled (about 3 large carrots)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 cups low sodium or unsalted beef stock
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- In a medium bowl toss beef with salt, pepper, soy sauce, and garlic. Using a large skillet sauté mixture in oils over medium to medium high heat. Add beef once oil is hot. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip meat and cook on the other side to brown only. Meat will not yet be cooked through.
- Add vegetables and vegetables to slow cooker along with hoisin sauce, beef stock, ginger slices. Make sure solids are covered by the stock.
- Set slow cooker to high and cook for 3-4 hours. Or, cook for 7-8 hours on low heat.
- Combine 1/4 cup of cornstarch and 1/4 cup of cold water together to make a slurry and add to beef to thicken sauce. Cook another 30 minutes on high.
- Serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Recipe adapted from Jessica Gavin.