Healthy, delicious eating made easy, thanks to the slow cooker!
We’re all about sneaking in a healthy dinner into the weekly rotation when we can, but sometimes the extra veggies are met with protests from the rest of the family. This recipe, however, was a hit! Browning the chicken and slightly sauteeing the onions give this dish a wonderfully savory flavor without any added sugars or fats. Plus, mushrooms are so good for the whole family! They are full of fiber, vitamins C & D, as well as iron and other good things to fill you and give you an immunity boost.
Did we mention it is a slow cooker meal? Oh yeah. Healthy and easy? Sign us up! The savory mushroom sauce perfectly complements the juicy chicken, making this dish so tasty, your family will never even know how good it is for them! Serve with a side of rice (or quinoa if you’re being super healthy) and call it a meal. Healthy eating made easy, thanks to the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Chicken And Mushrooms
30 minutes active; 4 hours inactive
- 1 1/2 pounds of chicken
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a medium skillet, add oil and chicken. Cook on medium-high heat and sear until brown, flip, and brown the other side. Place in slow cooker.
- In the same pan, add onion and saute until tender. Add to slow cooker.
- Place the mushrooms, garlic, and parsley in an even layer over the chicken and onions in the slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth and sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, and add cornstarch to the juices and mushrooms. Whisk until smooth. Return chicken to slow cooker and cook until the gravy is thick, about 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice or pasta!
Recipe adapted from Skinny MS.